Saturday, November 8, 2008

Part-0: Background - Bill Gates Speaks at IIT Delhi - November 5th 2008

This article is divided into 3 parts: Part-0: Background, Part-1: Fluff and Details of the Venue and Part-2: A Detailed “Here’s what I saw” account of Mr.Bill Gates’ talk. Scroll Down-- to Part-2-- if you want to SKIP ACCROSS TO Mr.Gates' speech without this introductory text.

The event marked the launch of Microsoft’s “DreamSparks” free software to students distribution program- but in the talk, Mr.Gates talked mainly about his humanitarian activities and his underlying motivations and approach to improving the world.

I am posting this article as a detailed “this what he said account”, because the words about Mr.Gates thoughts and his approach to various activities tells the listener or reader a lot more about Mr.Gates as a person, than any number of articles or opinions written about him.

A Disclaimer: This is “as I saw it”- and while I happily accept corrections and missed details- I present this for information and entertainment- and by reading this, you agree that the author cannot be quoted OR be sued OR be otherwise held liable for the accuracy and veracity of this content.

Author’s Note: This post and accompanying photographs are copyrighted by the author and/or Microsoft (photo-credits) or others. and any unauthorized replication, storage or publishing of this material without the author’s express written (and signed on paper) permission is prohibited.

Part-0: Background

Like everybody else, no matter what my own personal opinions about Mr.Bill Gates- when I heard Bill Gates is in town- I wondered what it would be like to see him in person.

I recently read a newspaper article about how a meeting between the a Tech-Startup Founder and representatives of the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation at Uttam Nagar in South-West Delhi turned into a meeting with Bill Gates and his father and sisters- because they decided to show-up and represent the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation.
And, my thought was “Wow… if BillG comes anyplace near where I am; I am will definitely go and see BillG myself”.

So, when I learnt BillG is speaking at IIT-Delhi, there was nothing to hold me back from showing up- to check out how Bill-G is in person.

So people; if you’re curious “I wonder how it went…”—here’s my post aimed to be as detailed as possible- to give you all a ringside view of this awesome talk by Mr.Bill Gates. Personally I liked Mr.Gates much more than I liked watching Mr.Steve Ballmer on TV- and no matter my views about Microsoft—I found Mr.Gates to be a epitome of gentleness and kindness- a impression that none of the articles I’ve read have conveyed to me—and that’s why I’m transcribing the event as best I remember it- so that you too can get a feel of just how it felt sitting there listening to Mr.Gates.

Also, though Mr.Gates did infact show up with a Elderly Gentleman and two ladies of roughly the same age as Mr.Gates- but ofcourse, I’m not sure if like the newspaper reported they were his father and sisters.

Were you there ? Do you see inaccuracies or gaps ? Do you have a opinion, positive or negative about this article ? Do you want me to add to this or send you any more information ?
I am happy to hear from all of you- and I am happy to reply mails and comments and if I can be of help- I am happy to be of service.

Please feel free to drop me a mail at nsnsns(at)gmail(dot)com OR to comment just below this blog post.

Also, my thanks to Mr.Abhishek Kant and Mr.Abhishek Baxi(In Photo) of Microsoft- these guys are total professionals and they are doing a great job- guys you rock!!! They do their job so well, that it sets a very high bar in my mind, on just how well things can be done.
Mr.Kant and Mr.Baxi are responsible for MVP program and certain other developer relations activities in India and South East Asia- and if you need any information or help- please do feel free to drop them a mail.

Finally saw him!!! Yes!!! I finally saw Bill Gates… heard the man speak!!!
Read through the details of Part-1 OR jump right across to Part-2 about the details of Bill Gates’ talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment